Work Exchange Program
An immersive experience at IDEAL Society, this work exchange program is an opportunity to discover a collective lifestyle in an affordable way.
The program is structured around the sharing of experiences. Members of the community with various backgrounds and skills welcome people from all over the world and interact through a holistic form of education as it was developed by the founder of IDEAL, Natacha Kolesar, PhD.
Work, workshops, community and leisure activities form the core of the program. The setting is a francophone collective environment of approximately 50 members living on a 350 acres property in the beautiful Rocky Mountains of South-Eastern BC.
Through experiential learning and self discovery, students participate in a way of life that strives to anchor the vision of "humanity as one family" in the everyday.
The work-exchange program is open to Canadians or foreign nationals who hold a valid work visa for the duration of their stay at IDEAL.
Goals of the Program
- Discovering a collective and spiritual lifestyle
- Promoting an experience of personal transformation
- Learning selfless service
- Exploring one’s potential and possibly redirecting career choices
- Gaining social and community experience finding personal ways to share it in any community
Work Commitment in various fields
- An average of 5-6 hours per day, 5.5 days a week
- Cooking and kitchen cleanup once a week as a member of the community
- 2 workshops of 2 to 3 hours per week (see below)
- One free day
The Garden sector which requires the biggest work force includes planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, preserving. The Infrastructure sector represents wood working, plumbing, building and general maintenance.
General schedule of the day
- Meditation at sunrise (optional)
- Breathing exercises and movements (optional)
- Morning gathering including singing, meditation and breakfast
- Spiritual lecture or community presentation (optional)10:15 to 12:15
- Working in your sector of activity
- 12:30 to 1:30 Lunch
- 1:30 to 5:30 Working in your sector of activity
- 6pm dinner